Described during constructed in The Building News: “A new Presbyterian church, in the Decorated Gothic style, is in course of erection, in Rutland-square, Dublin. The church, internally, is 90 ft. in length, and 50 ft. in breadth, and is divided on either side by two stone piers, which carry the roof timbers. The principal entrance is by the main doorway in tower, which leads to vestibule and passages. The octagon turret contains the stair leading to the small gallery which extends over one end of church. The division of the church into three bays or arches is marked externally by three gables in the side to North Frederick-street. These gables are pierced by richly traceried windows presenting a slightly novel arrangement. A vestry and session-house, with large rooms for congregational purposes, complete the design. This church, with its lofty spire, 180 ft. in height, together with its commanding position, will add to the architectural embellishments of the city. The architect is Mr. Heiton, of Perth, from whose designs the Presbyterian churches of Rathgar and Kingstown were also erected. All the works are being executed by Mr. Samuel Bolton, at the estimated cost of £10,110, under the superintendence of Mr. Leiper, the resident assistant of Mr. Heiton.”
Parnell Square is also home to the Garden of Remembrance, the national site commemorating the 1916 Easter Rising which led to the foundation of the Irish State. Parnell Square/Rutland Square has been the scene of many political events central to Irish history. Charles Stewart Parnell often stayed at Rutland Square, addressing meetings at the Rotunda. The Irish Volunteers were founded at the Rotunda on 25 November 1913. The Gaelic League or Conradh na Gaeilge, founded in 1893 by Douglas Hyde, were based in no. 25 from 1909, and it was at a meeting at no. 25 on 9 September 1914, presided over by Thomas J. Clarke, that members of the Irish Republican Brotherhood and others resolved to bring about a rising against British Rule in Ireland before the end of the war.