The earliest bridge crossing the south channel at this location was the Anglesea Bridge. Plans to replace the Anglesea Bridge began as early as 1863 but a new bridge did not become operational until the 18th. November 1882. That bridge was designed by T. Claxton Fiddler [an interesting name] and it was named in honour of Charles Stewart Parnell. The current bridge opened to the public in May 1971.